RealOptions provides medical testing, diagnosis and treatment of chlamydia and gonorrhea for those who are sexually active and desire testing.
Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are caused by infections that are passed from one person to another during sexual contact.These infections often do not cause any symptoms. Medically, infections are only called diseases when they cause symptoms. That is why STDs are also called "sexually transmitted infections." But it’s very common for people to use the terms "sexually transmitted diseases" or "STDs," even when there are no signs of disease.
There are many kinds of sexually transmitted diseases and infections.
- You can get an STD the first time you have vaginal, anal or oral sex.
- Many STDs have no cure while others can be treated through medication.
- Most people infected with an STD don’t know it.
- You can get an STD from someone who does not know he/she is infected.
- You can’t tell who has an STD by looking at them.
- Many STDs can be transmitted to a baby during pregnancy or birth.
- If you are pregnant and considering an abortion get tested first.
You may have heard of chlamydia, but many people are not sure what it is. Chlamydia (klah MIH dee ah) is an infection caused by a kind of bacteria that is passed during sexual contact. It is the most common sexually transmitted bacterial infection in the United States. About three million American women and men become infected with chlamydia every year. It is especially common among women and men under 25. Chlamydia can infect the penis, vagina, cervix, anus, urethra, eye, or throat.
Most people who have chlamydia don’t know it since the disease often has no symptoms.
- Chlamydia is the most commonly reported STD in the United States.
- Sexually active females 25 years old and younger need testing every year.
- Chlamydia can impact a woman’s ability to have children if left untreated.
You may have heard of gonorrhea, but many people are not sure what it is. Gonorrhea (gon-o-RHEE-a) is an infection caused by a kind of bacteria that is passed during sexual contact. It can infect the penis, vagina, cervix, anus, urethra, mouth, throat or eyes. Sometimes it is called "the clap" or "the drip."
- This disease can impact a woman’s ability to have children if left untreated.
- Gonorrhea can be a serious health risk if it is not treated. It infect more than 800,000 women and men in the United States every year.
Genital herpes is a common STD, and most people with genital herpes infection do not know they have it.
- The most common herpes symptom is a cluster of blistery sores — usually on the vagina, vulva, cervix, penis, buttocks, anus or mouth. You can get genital herpes even if your partner shows no signs of the infection.
- If you have any symptoms (like a sore on your genitals, especially one that periodically recurs) laboratory tests can help determine if you have genital herpes.
- There is no cure for herpes, but treatment is available to reduce symptoms and decrease the risk of transmission to a partner.
HIV stands for Human Immunodeficiency Syndrome. AIDS stands for Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome and it means that your body’s white cells (CD4+ cells) have been reduced so much that your body is no longer able to fight off diseases by itself.
- HIV is the infection that causes AIDS.
- HIV has few or no symptoms for up to 10 years or more before symptoms of AIDS develop.
- There is no cure for HIV/AIDS, but treatment is available.
- HIV can be spread during sex play.
- HIV attacks your immune system, reducing your CD4+ cell count to such an extent that your body can’t fight off common illnesses.
- There’s medication used to slow down the decay process of HIV but it has no cure.
- Located in blood, semen, vaginal fluid, and breast milk of those infected.
HPV stands for “human papillomavirus” and its an STD caused by a virus.
- Usually those infected with HPV will show no symptoms and therefore most who have HPV don’t know it.
- Genital HPV can cause genital warts- precancerous/cancerous cells on the genital areas.
- Spread easily by skin-to-skin contact
- There is no drug to cure HPV infection but there are treatments are available to manage the problems caused by HPV.
You may have heard of syphilis, but many people are not sure what it is. Syphilis (SIFF-I-lis) is a sexually transmitted disease caused by bacteria that are passed sexually. It can infect the vagina, anus,urethra, or penis, as well as the lips and mouth.
Syphilis can be a serious health risk if it is not treated. About 36,000 American women and men become infected with syphilis every year.
- Syphilis is easy to cure in its early stages.
- Signs and symptoms of syphilis include a firm, round, small, and painless sore on the genitals, anus, or mouth, or a rash on the body, especially on the palms of the hands or the soles of the feet.
We test for gonorrhea and chlamydia using a urine sample. If this test shows an infection, then we will provide you with treatment and explain how your partner(s) can be treated.
For chlamydia and gonorrhea testing, do not urinate or engage in sexual intercourse for one hour before testing.
RealOptions does not charge for services, including medical visits and consultations. However, laboratory fees - charged by the outsourced lab and treatment fees of $30 do apply. We take cash, credit & debit cards.
You owe it to yourself to be safe. Don’t ignore the important step of being tested.
We are here to help. The caring staff at RealOptions provides confidential (private) consultations and are sensitive to your needs and concerns.